Friday, September 2, 2011

Would You Paint Your Son's Nails?

Tori Spelling's, 4 year old son Liam, stepped out the other day in L.A with silver nail polish. We have seen fashion tots like Kingston and Zuma rocking the boy nail polish trend, so Liam is just jumping on the fashion bandwagon like his peers. This trend first came to light when a picture of J.Crew's creative director Jenna Lyons showed her painting her toddler son Beckett's toenails with bright pink polish. The picture had a caption saying, "Lucky for me, I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink. Toenail painting is way more fun in neon." A bunch of people had some not so nice things to say about it, even suggesting that she should put some money aside for future therapy. Hm. So is this really a big deal? Or are moms, simply just having fun with their sons.
J.Crew's creative director Jenna Lyons painting her son's toenails
Super glam mom Jennifer Lopez doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with it. She recently told People magazine, "He wants to paint his nails too. Because for him, it's just paint. He's like, 'I want the blue!'" Lopez says, laughing. "Then Marc is like, 'Why are Max's nails painted?!' But he won't sit still so it's only like two nails." Seems harmless I guess, although I am not sure I would be so eager to jump on this trend myself. Would you paint your son's nails? Let us know if you think it's innocent fun, or fuel for future therapy sessions.

Liam McDermott flashing a big smile & silver nail polish

J.Crew Image: J.Crew
Liam's Image: Denis Castro/Beverly News

4 comments:

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Innocent fun! I have 3 girls so I don't have to deal with this, but I don't think it's a big deal.

I am a new follower from the Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop. If you have a chance, stop by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi!

Thanks!

Kristy said...

I don't know that I would paint my son's nail. I'm a single parent and my sons father is non existent, so all he see's are girly things. He likes to watch when I do my nails and ask questions but I wouldn't paint his. I have filed his nails, but like Jennifer Lopez says he won't sit still long enough to do more than a few. I'm a new follower from the hop.

Mrs. Fun said...

If they asked I would. But I always told them it was a girl thing when they would ask why only mom has colored nails. My husband used to let our daughter paint his toenails.

Unknown said...

lol...I'm actually working on this question right now! My 1-year old son wants to color his nails every time we paint his 4-year old sister's nails. My husband thinks it's a horrible idea, but I think the baby would get a kick out of being allowed to color his nails (or have me!). Of course, then he'd probably want to color his whole body and that is definitely not happening! Markers already take a ridiculous amount of monitoring!

Carla @ Jansen Family Adventures