Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Trendy Tuesday - Lipstick

We all know that nail art was a hot beauty trend in 2013, so nail products were flying off the shelves, but did you know that lipstick was booming too?

According to statistics from Market research firm The NPD Group Inc., last year’s lipstick sales were just as impressive as nails with an 8% increase from the year before.

While the beauty industry put a large amount of attention on nails last year, the focus will shift to Lips for 2014, so we can expect lot of new and innovative lip products coming from our favourite beauty brands. Yay!


I’m so excited about this major lip trend because I actually caught the beauty bug in 2013. While I was pregnant with my daughter I stopped wearing makeup. I’m not really sure why, I actually did the same with my son. I guess I just didn’t feel like wearing it anymore and just let that natural pregnancy glow shine though. But after I gave birth, I really wanted to feel like me again so I invested in a whole new makeup bag of stuff for a fresh start as a new mom of 2. I was particularly excited when Rihanna’s first summer Mac Collection was released in June (shortly after I gave birth) not only because I am a major Riri fan, but also because of the release of her Riri Woo Lipstick. I have never been a big lipstick girl, I usually focused on the eyes and went with a simple gloss, but I really wanted that perfect red lipstick that’s a must have for every woman’s makeup bag and Riri Woo seemed to fit the bill. It has a beautiful retro matte finish and goes gloriously with every skin tone! I had to have it, and when I did, I fell in love with lipstick. On the rare occasion I got to have a night out with my partner or friends, I wore it and it made me feel fabulous! I even started wearing during the day, just shopping with my daughter at the mall. For my day look, I wouldn’t lay it on so heavy though; simply dab it on over some moisturising lip balm for a more subtle look, but a little red lippy can completely transform an everyday look into something a little more fab!

After my new found obsession with my Riri Woo lipstick, I was on the hunt for that perfect pink pout as well. And low and behold, Rihanna came out with Pleasure Bomb, a gorgeous fuschia color, also with a matte finish in her Holiday Mac collection, so of course I had to have it. I lucked out and got the very last one at the Mac Counter at The Bay only 1 hour after it had released in stores. Again, the perfect pink for every skin tone.

Me (Joanna) getting ready to rock Riri Woo for the holidays
Yussie looking fab in Pleasure Bomb at a baby shower


Now these 2 lipsticks have me craving for more! Next on my wish list: Rihanna’s Viva Glam Lipstick. The new lipstick set to launch online on January 21st and in store on January 23rd, is also a matte red, but with a hint of purple and finishing with the look of velvet. Plus, every penny you spend on the Viva Glam lipstick goes to the MAC AIDS Fund to support people directly affected by HIV/AIDS. Fabulous and charitable! Could we ask for anything more?


And finally, I’ve been wanting to try Mac’s Heroine lipstick. This previously retired Mac favourite made a come-back to the permanent collection this month (perhaps due to this rising lipstick trend), and I want in! This vibrant matte Purple packs a powerful punch, but I’m tempted to try. Not sure I can pull off the purple pout, but part of our New Year’s Resolution was to be more fearless in fashion, so I think I’m going to give it a try! (I’ll let you know how that works out ;))


As Laura Weinstein, vice president marketing of Sally Hansen and NYC New York Color, told WWD, "Lip really is the new nail."

Are you on board with this major 2014 beauty trend? What are some of your favourite lipsticks, or ones you’re dying to try this year? Let us know in the comments!


Clockwise from top left: Rihanna x Mac ‘Riri Woo’ Lipstick, $20, Sold Out (Alternative – Mac Ruby Woo, $18), Rihanna x Mac ‘Pleasure Bomb’ Lipstick, $20, Sold Out (Alternative – Mac All Fired Up, $18), Rihanna Viva Glam Lipstick, Mac Cosmetics, Available Jan 21st, Mac ‘Heroine’ Lipstick,$18.
Centre: I Need Lipstick Cosmetics Bag, Forever 21, $10.80


0 comments: