Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Liberation - Queen B Style

By now, I am sure most of you have been exposed to Beyoncé's latest album. Whether you are a fan or not, you got to give it to her, girl worked it out! The album to say the least, is extremely raw, open and much more sexual then what we have come to expect from her. Possibly as a way to stay relevant in comparison to her "competition" in the music industry, or maybe as she tells in her part four "Self-Titled" docu-series, has much to do with becoming a mother. As a young mother to a three and one year old, I can totally relate to the later. I am coming into my own and love the entire album and all she has to say in the series, especially this particular video. 

In the five minute glimpse into her thought process, she goes on to talk about how becoming a mother to her two year old daughter, Blue Ivy, has given her so much liberation and the ability to truly embrace her sexuality. While we all don't look like Beyoncé, we can learn to let go a little bit with our own sexuality and how to embrace our bodies and learn to love ourselves in all aspects. And hell, if not just for ourselves, the special man in your life will surely enjoy it! “Just because you become a mother doesn't mean you lose who you are,” she explains in the video. For me personally,  I am just figuring out who I really am, and I can say that hearing those words on the album have given me a real boost and motivation to find out, and it's damn exciting!

“I was breast feeding, cornrows in my hair, because I was spending so much time being a mother,” she said. “Recording this album was such an outlet for me to kinda escape and create whatever world and fantasy that definitely at the time was not happening.” We can all relate to this in some way or another. We can immerse ourselves so much in mother hood that we get a little lost. It is so important for all of us, to find an outlet and take some "me" time, even for megastars like Queen B. 
It's not all about sex on the album though, if you want to hear a ode to her precious baby girl, take a listen to "Blue". I can feel the love she put into it, and it makes me think of my children and how much I love them. I am listening to the album on repeat and I can't enough! It's nothing that we've seen before from her and I just can't stop. 


Check out the full video below and tell us what you think of Beyonce’s new take on life. 




0 comments: