Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Meet Moana: Disney's Soon to be Princess

Word on the Disney Street is that we can expect to welcome a new princess come 2018. As a mom to two young boys, I am constantly watching Disney movies, even ones with princesses. We really love Jasmine, Mulan, Tiana and Merida – all strong and diverse women! I couldn’t be more excited to have a new princess in the lineup. The movie, as described on Bleeding Cool, will be an adventure across the islands of the South Pacific about 2000 years ago. Say what?! We’re getting another ethnically diverse princess? Hell yes! Moana will be a film set around a Polynesian sea-voyager and Chief’s daughter, who will be embarking on a journey to help her family. According to rumors the film will incorporate spirits and gods from historical Polynesian legends, a lot like the film Hercules did. Not only do I love that we are getting a Polynesian Princess, but a movie incorporating real historical stories and images is right up my alley and I’m excited for my kids to see it.

Fan Art of Moana from tumblr.com/search/moana

Moana will be directed by the same folks who brought us “The Little Mermaid”, “Aladdin” and “The Princess and the Frog”. John Musker and Ron Clements will team up to bring us this new film, and it will be their first digitally animated movie. I have no doubt that we will have another winner on our hands. There isn’t much else said about the project as the debut will only be in 2018,  but I can say that I am sure there will be a multitude of little girls (and parents) who will appreciate a new Disney Princess that will look just like them. I remember as a little girl watching “Aladdin” after seeing “Cinderella”, “Sleeping Beauty” and “Beauty and the Beast”, and being so happy that finally there was someone who looked just like me! Princess Jasmine was someone I could look up to; she has long flowing black hair, large almond eyes and curvier body (compared to Princesses before her). She was my ultimate idol! Thankfully since then we’ve welcomed Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana and Merida – all strong women who break the stereotypical princess mold and I can’t wait to see just how perfectly Moana will fit in with them!

Here is an unofficial picture that has been floating around online. Hopefully they will be releasing an official picture soon; I can’t wait to see what she looks like.

Note: This is not the official Disney release picture 

Tell us… are you excited for a new diverse Disney Princess? 


0 comments: