Last night was the annual Met Gala aka the fashion holy grail, was held in New York city to celebrate their latest exhibit on Charles James - a midcentury artist who favoured elaborate architecture in his dresses. If there is one event of the year that you need to be paying close attention to in terms of fashion, this is the one! Every year, stars bring their fashion A game to this event, and this year did not disappoint!
Here are our faves and faux pas of the night!
1. Always the queen of the red carpet, we could not keep our eyes off Rihanna in this white hot Stella McCartney gown.
2. Reese Witherspoon certainly caught our attention in a form-fitting fuschia gown, also by Stella McCartney, that brought us back to her Legally Blonde days.
3. Karolina Korakova was theme-appropriate and recalled Charles James’ work with this absolutely show stopping Marchesa gown.
We would expect nothing less than a grand entrance from fashion icon, and co-chair of the event, Mrs. SJP, and of course, she delivered! Every year, the Met Gala has a theme and Parker always follows-suit. Charles James was known to design dramatically large ball gowns, so of course Parker went BIG and who better to do that with than Oscar De La Renta. She brought the glam factor in a black and ivory ball gown fit for a real-life Carrie Bradshaw with over the top accessories including diamond embellished gloves and an updo adorned with white flowers.
One major part of the ensemble that surprised us was the branding splashed across the back of her dress. But there is an explanation for that!
“Did you see his name on the back?” SJP asked Vanity Fair, “I said to Mr. De la Renta, please let me use scarlet embroidery thread, and splash your name across the back. It was my idea. He would never in a million years have done it, he’s far too modest.”
Best Pant Suits:
In a sea full of glamorous gowns, these ladies really stood out in their fashion-forward pant suits!
1. Another amazing look by Stella McCartney last night - Cara Delevigne rocked this super sexy, yet masculine look on the red carpet.
2. Janelle Monae added a serious pop of color to her signature monochromatic suit style with this ah-mazing Tadashi Shoji cape and those super strappy sandals complemented it perfectly!
3. Kristen Wiig sparkled in her all black errything Balenciaga pant look.
Three of our favourite hot young couples hit the red carpet looking nothing less than amazing!
1. Emma Stone was pink perfection in this amazing Thakoon ensemble! We cannot get over how gorgeous she looks in that color, and her hair and makeup game were equally on point! She walked alongside her Spiderman 2 real life boyfriend Andrew Garfield looking sharp in a complimentary silver Band of Outsiders Blazer.
2. Blake Lively was a golden Gucci goddess in a long sequined gown alongside her super sexy hubby Ryan Reynolds, also in Gucci. The pair who are rarely seen on the red carpet together were very affectionate at the event and we could not get enough of them! Love!
3. Also in the running for cutest couple were A$AP Rocky & Chanel Iman, who held hands down the red carpet. Chanel wore a slinky silver Topshop dress with her rumored fiancé in a Topman suit.
1. Not much to say here! As usual, our favourite power couple, Jay & Bey shut it down! Beyonce stunned in an amazing crystal-studded custom Givenchy Haute Couture gown with mesh veil and Jay Z looked styled and sophisticated in his Givenchy suit - the white jacket is on point.
2. Coming in at close second to King and Queen Carter, Kim and Kanye, both dressed in Lanvin, look great as a newly married couple. While we might have gone with a different shoe choice and a little less leg (she’s rivaling Angelina in this one!) her blue satin dress is gorgeous and Kanye looks impeccable! That white vest is timeless and fashion forward, he's just missing that rare smile.
3. Finally these two have taken the plunge and stepped out together as a couple! Charlize Theron looks flawless in her black and white Dior Gown and Sean Penn is the perfect accessory in a coordinating classic black tux and white shirt.
1. The usually fashion forward Solange totally missed the mark this time around. That hair, those shoes and that Phillip dress are all shades of wrong!
2. Wonder what was going on in Kate Upton’s head when she decided on this Dolce & Gabanna dress. The lace, the ruffles, the stripes, the corest... Less is more honey!
3. Katie Holmes also seemed to be taking Cinco de Mayo a little too literal with this unfortunate Marchesa gown. We expect a lot more from a Marchesa! The entire execution of this look fell flat. Her hair, makeup and even her posture!
WTF Were They Thinking:
Worst dressed was bad, but these are just on another level!
1. Of all the dresses! There are just no words to describe the atrocity that Maggie Gyllenhal’s Valentino dress brings to such a fabulous night of fashion.
2. Prada not only failed to keep our girl Lupita in the best dressed category, but they completey failed Gabrielle Union with this feather getup. Just no.
3. We usually adore Neil Patrick Harris all dressed up! Why he decided to keep his broadway makeup on, and do his hubby David Burtka up the same way in cropped tuxes, is beyond our comprehension.
Were you impressed by Fashion's biggest event? Which were your favourites?